"Saving Lives: The Importance of Knowing CPR"
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is a lifesaving technique used to revive individuals who have suffered a cardiac arrest. CPR can be performed by laypeople or healthcare professionals, and it can increase the survival rate of individuals who have suffered a cardiac arrest.
Why CPR is Important ?
Cardiac arrest can occur at any time and without warning, making CPR an important skill to have. Cardiac arrest can be caused by a variety of factors, including heart disease, trauma, drug overdose, and more. Without immediate intervention, cardiac arrest can lead to brain damage and death within minutes.
Steps for Performing CPR (follow C-A-B)
The steps for performing CPR include the following:
1. Call for emergency medical assistance: Before beginning CPR, it's important to call for emergency medical assistance. This will ensure that medical professionals are on the way to provide further treatment.
2. Check for responsiveness: If the individual is unresponsive, gently shake them and ask if they are okay. If they do not respond, proceed to the next step.
3. Compressions: Place the heel of one hand in the center of the individual's chest and place the other hand on top of it. Perform 30 compressions at a rate of 100-120 per minute.
4. Airway: Tilt the individual's head back, lift the chin.
5. Breathing: Make a seal over their mouth and nose with yours then give two breaths making sure that their chest rises with each breath.
6. Repeat the cycle: Continue alternating between chest compressions and breaths until emergency medical assistance arrives.
It is important to note that CPR should only be performed on individuals who have suffered a cardiac arrest and not for those who have a heartbeat but are unconscious for other reasons.
In conclusion, CPR is a crucial lifesaving technique that can help revive individuals who have suffered a cardiac arrest. Learning CPR is easy and can be done through certified training programs or online courses. Knowing CPR can increase the survival rate of individuals who have suffered a cardiac arrest, making it an important skill to have.
To pass your Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec OIIQ-RN Exam go to: www.rn101questionbank.com
To pass your Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers auxiliaires du Québec OIIAQ-LPN Exam go to: www.rn101lpnquestionbank.com
Follow us on Instagram for more free nursing materials: https://www.instagram.com/jimbriant/